Yield: 8 servings.
- 6 cups water
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds) pared and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups any WestSoy Plain Soymilk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or alternative
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Bring water to boil, add potatoes, onion and green pepper. As soon as water resumes boiling, remove from heat and drain vegetables. Turn into greased 7 1/2 inch x 12 inch baking dish. Melt butter in medium-sized pan, stir in flour until well mixed. Gradually stir in soymilk and cook, stirring until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup shredded cheese or alternative, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over potatoes and stir gently to combine. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake uncovered, at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes until potatoes are tender and the sauce is bubbly around edges.